The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy—a non-partisan, non-profit organization in Washington, DC—recruites a Youth Leadership Team (YLT) every other spring. The next recruitment period begins February 2017.
The YLT works to reflect teens’ views and to give voice to their unique perspectives by getting them actively involved- nationally and locally-in teen pregnancy prevention efforts. During their 18-month term, YLT members participate in a variety of activities that both promote teen pregnancy prevention and expand their own abilities. We bring the teens to Washington for a series of meetings and events that help them get comfortable working together and talking about these issues.
Past YLT members have spoken to the press about teen pregnancy prevention and related issues to outlets such as NBC News, ABC News, CNN, The New York Times, The Washington Post, USA Today, Seventeen and Essence magazines, and MTV. YLT members have written articles for our own Stay Teen site as well as other teen-oriented media, and have contributed to National Campaign publications. YLT members have also been instrumental in helping develop television PSAs for our Stay Teen advertising campaign. Ads created by and starring YLT members have aired during FOX shows like American Idol and The Simpsons, as well as on cable outlets such as TeenNick and Lifetime.
- serve as youth advisors to The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy;
- learn how to speak with the press and speaking publicly about our issues;
- visit Capitol Hill and meet with their Senators and Representatives to talk about teen pregnancy prevention;
- receive assistance planning projects in their own communities to raise awareness of the issue; and
- participate in National Campaign activities, such as the National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.
Missed recruitment but still want to be involved? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask about other ways you can contribute to Stay Teen!