What I Wish I Knew: the Laundry Truck

My mother has three—and only three—stories about high school, which she continually tells on a rotating basis. The first is about cutting her afternoon classes to watch the show Dark Shadows through the window of a neighborhood television store, and the second is about making her own freeze-dried coffee in the basement of her best friend's house (who knows, it was the 60’s…).

Granted, neither of those two stories have any real significance, not to mention she probably shouldn't have planted the idea of skipping my afternoon classes. However, the third story was a little nugget of wisdom that I wish I knew the value of when I was in high school: that the hottest, most popular guy in her class—the one with the best hair, the best smile, the best car—grew up to drive a laundry truck.

I wish I knew that the most popular people in high school would probably peak in high school, paving the way for the rest of us to have our time to shine when it really mattered: adulthood. You know, the little part of your lifetime AFTER those four years. And that’s when it really matters, right? All of the details and stories created in high school will boil down to an overall experience eventually and who you have become in the real world because of that experience is what's most important.

I'll never forget the hottest guy in my class, super popular, not so smart, personality like cardboard, kind of a jerk but boy, was he adorable to look at. Making googly eyes at him throughout high school, I wish I knew that within the first few months after graduating he'd get himself into some serious trouble, be kicked out of school, move back in with his parents, and have his braces put back on. Sort of a metaphorical laundry truck, right?

So take a look at the kind-of cute girl or guy, the one sitting next to the hottest one, the one who isn't particularly popular and flies under the radar of most social circles, but is pretty smart and makes you laugh. Give it a few years, because he or she could soon be the real catch. They'll be even smarter and funnier than they were in high school, able to crack jokes and reminisce about those awkward four years, as the two of you watch the laundry truck drive by.

Lauren is a recent college grad who is putting her new-found wisdom to use here on Stay Teen. She loves watching Cash Cab, shopping for shoes online, and writing for us. Want to ask Lauren a question? Send us an email!

ON JULY 5, 2012 AT 3:44 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Im still dating my first boy friend. I started dating him when I was in 8th grade. now we are both done high school and im expecting with his child.

ON AUGUST 5, 2011 AT 12:40 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I was actually told something really insightful recently. It seemed so easy but it actually means a lot. It is that people will tell you that these years-the high school years- are the best ones of your life, but they suck, you just have to get through them and realize that there is more out there. If you are smart and act like an actual adult, high school will not be the best time in your life, but when you get through it your life can become really great.

ON JULY 26, 2011 AT 7:43 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

its true .....
imma sophomore.....it pretty much seems as if guys only want sex or they wont get with u its the facts: guys will say ANYTHING to you just to get you in there pants....its the truth and the truth hurts......but i do addmit there are very few guys that will truley love you for YOU:)))

ON JULY 24, 2011 AT 9:53 PM, ANH SAID:

In high school, I dated that popular guy, he was a jerk! so eventually this nice sweet guy [total geek with braces and a video game nerd] fell in love with me [at this time I was "engaged" to someone] and he never got in the way and he always said "as long as your happy, I'm happy." So my "ex-fiance" dumped me for another girl... So I went out with the one who always wanted me happy... we have been together for 1 year and 5 months :D strong happy and extreamly in love!!! now he has perfect teeth and he transformed me into a game nerd :P He is the BEST thing that has ever happened to me!!

ON JUNE 16, 2011 AT 3:11 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

i think the truth is that when you meet a not-so-great-looking person but they are nice, intellegent, have a great personality and is just an all around great person, the attractive, popular people start to look way less appealing.

ON MARCH 28, 2011 AT 3:54 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

my mom always said to never judge a book by its cover so, never judge a person by their geekiness who knows mabey in the future they'll be a gorgeous person on the inside and out .

ON MARCH 15, 2011 AT 3:29 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

i agree by: nicki mange

ON MARCH 13, 2011 AT 9:35 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I remember in 7th grade I liked this really cute guy but he was a giant jerk. I didn't focus on homework or anything important, only him. After awhile, people said I was obsessed and they were right. I realized that I shouldn't have liked him and I stopped liking him.

ON FEBRUARY 4, 2011 AT 7:54 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

You really do get tired of the boys that continually joke around and can't take anything (including you) seriously. Not that I've ever had a boyfreind.But I tend to like the quiet, nice guys more.And really, later on they will be better off, and make better husbands, than the ones who think of life as one big joyride.

ON JANUARY 20, 2011 AT 1:15 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

agree

ON JANUARY 4, 2011 AT 5:37 PM, LITTLE GIRL BLU SAID:

well i'm currently in a relationship. he's a senior and im'a sophmore it's been 7 months so far. he wanna be with me but my thing is i'm young what if i start liking someone else. hopefully i won't though cause he don't act as immature as other dudes (you knw you get tired of that type) lol but he's fun to be with and stuff. but im going to keep an eye on him i guess cause graduation is in 4 months and 3 weeks and i got 2 school yrs left.

ON JANUARY 4, 2011 AT 2:36 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

yeahhhhhhh well thats why i am going to wait till im in hig school to date but i dated in 7th grade and no body mad fun of us

ON DECEMBER 25, 2010 AT 12:51 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

When God closes one door he opens three more. We just don't know it yet. Remember that because high school isn't about who the cutest couples were or how funny the brace face kid looked in the year book. Your education and happiness are all that matter. Trust me you don't need a partner to be happy, because once your out of high school your "partner" is likely to leave anyway because you'll both most likely be going to different schools ready to pave totally different lives. Give yourself a chance to become something more. As in more stable, more educated, more mature, and more financially ready for what life has to offer. You owe yourself that much. God bless.

ON DECEMBER 7, 2010 AT 10:45 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I dated this one boy in elementry school because he had a great personality and he was cute. After someone found out we were dating he/she told every one in the grade. After everyone knew about us dating they started to make fun of us. Mostly every teenager has a social networking account like MySpace or Facebook and most of them use it to tease or make fun of someone. After a couple days there were so many posts about us dating. Boys were calling him a fag and a bunch of other mean names and the girls were posting lies about me so the guy i was dating would break up with me. They all toke over he broke up with me one day before lunch. I was very upset then most of the people that posted mean things on Facebook about us lied and said they didn't post anything mean so they wouldn't get in trouble. I wish all the boys in this world would understand that it doesn't matter what other people think of you it's what you think of yourself. If you really like somebody and they like you back or they said they will give you a chance that doesn't give anybody the right to make fun fo them.

ON NOVEMBER 27, 2010 AT 9:11 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

yeah, we might think we're gonna marry a certain guy today, but three month's later, we might meet someone way better

ON NOVEMBER 24, 2010 AT 12:28 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

You know i've once heard a teacher say that the people we date now most likely we won't end up with...so choose wisely :)

ON NOVEMBER 22, 2010 AT 6:48 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

so true. so true. :D

ON NOVEMBER 14, 2010 AT 1:18 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Very true. Most of those people do peak in high school
From the person who watched "Dark Shadows" with your mom. We weren't cutting classes though--just Hebrew school. :)

ON NOVEMBER 13, 2010 AT 8:38 PM, NH SAID:

well, that changes everything .