Update and Advice from 16 and Pregnant's Lizzie

We first met Lizzie in Season 2 of 16 and Pregnant. Her pregnancy forced her to drop out of high school and the marching band, and she had to confront a cheating boyfriend. Lizzie's back to update us on her life and to pass on some advice she's learned since her episode aired. Download the discussion guide from Lizzie's episode; watch her episode.

So, as everyone saw on my episode, finishing school or going to college as a teenager with a baby is difficult to do. I think it’s harder because you are being introduced to SO many new things and responsibilities and it’s a little overwhelming. You want to be able to keep going to school like planned, but everything changes when the baby gets here and then you wanna be there for him or her.

I think once you have gotten being a new parent down pretty well, it is easier to balance school and a baby, you just have to know what you are capable of doing. I only take class at night twice a week, and Summer is asleep for the most part during that time so I’m not missing out on spending time with her. I think if you just step back and get being a parent down, then you should be able to go back to school, even if it takes a little longer to finish.

Having a baby also makes personal relationships harder to keep. When you're pregnant and have a baby, you find out who was really important and who your true friends are. Your friends have to realize that you can’t leave on the spur of the moment anymore and you have to plan things a few days in advanced. Some people can’t grasp that concept and lose interest in hanging out with you, but the ones who stick around, however few, are your true friends.

I would suggest to younger teens to practice abstinence, but as sad as it is to say, not many do. Teens are doing it younger and younger, so if they are going to do it, I STRONGLY suggest being at least a little smart, and using good birth control. Birth control nowadays is pretty simple depending on what you get. I have one that they put in your arm and you have it for three years. It’s not hard, but a lot of people don’t think about getting pregnant.

So final thought:: Don’t be silly, wrap the willy. Ha.

ON SEPTEMBER 30, 2011 AT 10:15 AM, THE FAMILY PLANNER SAID:

@ Hope, Also, Hope, Many times people who are using birth control and still become pregnant aren't using the method properly. (missing pills, not wearing the condom correctly, or not wearing the condom the whole time, etc.) Yes, sometimes methods fail, but your chances of getting pregnant or an STI are much MUCH less if you use some protection. And, go extra safe. Use a pill or nuva ring, or an implant, AND a condom. Provide double protection for yourself! A lot of times birth control fails due to lack of education! I'm glad you are on this site. You can learn some really good information. In the end, YOU are responsible for your sexual health. I do encourage abstinence to all my patients, but if you feel that isn't an option, protect yourself.

ON MARCH 9, 2011 AT 12:21 PM, DONT BE SILLY,WRAP YOUR WILLY! SAID:

Well guys should wear condms and just to be safe girls should be on birth control. is what I think

ON JANUARY 29, 2011 AT 5:55 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

@ JASMINE
haha thats the cutest rhyme.
they do say that abstinence is the key but its really hard at times. i would say only have sex unless your prepared to have a kid and make sure BOTH you and your partner get tested. its a hassle< but i would like to live longer then cutting my life short from one stupid descision

ON JANUARY 29, 2011 AT 2:43 AM, D'LESTRA MORGIN SAID:

Its not bad to be pregnant you just gotta know that your ready any that you can handle it. A baby is not easy either and i know this from experiance too. I have a son hes 10 months and we found out he was deaf at 4 months or so. Now im pregnant with my second and im married too also im in highschool to so no one has the right to tell someone they are stupid for getting pregnant they are the only ones who know what they were thinking and if it was right or not.

ON FEBRUARY 2, 2011 AT 4:21 PM, STAY TEEN SAID:

@ D'LESTRA MORGIN:

You're right - being pregnant and having a baby isn't a bad thing...it's all about timing. Becoming a teen mom means you're suddenly responsible for another person instead of just yourself. It's great that you are married and have a strong family, but we know that a lot of teen moms have a really tough road ahead of them. Thanks for telling us your story!

ON JANUARY 25, 2011 AT 5:05 PM, HOPE SAID:

I agree MTV never tells the whole Truth. The problem here is that the teens received a high middle class income, but the show made them seem as though they were struggling. I have watched this show and it surprises me that none of the teens used "protection" or at least that's the way they spell it out for us. See what happens when you don't use "protection"...yeah right I'm sure they all used something, but in the end it failed.

ON JANUARY 18, 2011 AT 2:34 PM, FASHIONISTA SAID:

grown ups and everybody else always try to convince you that birth control is the way too go i knew a freind who was on birthcontrol it is not always affective you can still end up with a baby and if kids are doing it younger and younger i think that we should try too get the message to them that not only is there pregnancy that you have too deal with when you have sex you also have too deal with std's sti'sso its just not that simple so seriously we need to take this kinda thing as a real deal because its happening and no i cant go too every teen and say hey do you what sex dose and it can kill you because not everyone is gonna care about my opnion or how i feel because some people just dont care..

ON JANUARY 18, 2011 AT 3:15 PM, STAY TEEN SAID:

@ FASHIONISTA:

You are totally right - sex is really complicated. There are physical and emotional consequences that lots of people don't take into account. On top of that, no birth control is 100% effective. The only thing that's going to guarantee that you don't get pregnant or get an STI is not having sex in the first place. But, if you are sexually active, it's important that you use birth control correctly every single time you have sex. It's great that you're thinking about all this stuff and making your opinions known!

ON JANUARY 14, 2011 AT 4:18 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

she should do what she feel is right

ON JANUARY 10, 2011 AT 12:39 PM, HOPE SAID:

Well I am glad that you say that because unfortunately when I read “safe sex” or “protection” I get the feeling that some people may actually believe it, when it isn’t true. I actually know not think that people using “protection” actually get or got pregnant or an STI, but I really can’t find that specifically or detailed mentioned anywhere. Maybe I’m missing something or not reading it correctly or can’t find it. I know that you are putting different percentages on effect and somewhat explaining on its effect, but no mention on what its ineffectiveness is. Plus I don’t see consistent and correctly every single time. I also don’t see the damaging effects on some devices. Adding to that how about other harmful affects like mental, social or emotional? Heck, even spiritual! I only notice emotional mentioned with waiting, stating that waiting eliminates emotional consequences that come from having sex. Oh biggy let’s move on! These are things that you can not escape what so ever and if someone was able too (highly doubtful) then why did they get there? I believe having sex is risky using or not using contraceptives. Now if you want to put people on a scale measure that is on you. I on the other hand suggest true education and if people want to take part in a risky situation after they have received the Whole Truth; that is on them.

Now I am not stating that this website is giving false information, however I am saying that I believe some vital details and specifics might be left out or forgotten. Thanks for commenting.

ON JANUARY 7, 2011 AT 1:15 PM, HOPE SAID:

Just another thought, the site titled itsyoursexlife is really not true. Did you know, let me say that again my little chillies, did you know that every choice has a consequence and that consequence doesn't just affect you! Yeah, its true! Go figure, omg-unit go figure. So really itsoursexlife or itseveryonessexlife. Unless you pay for everything yourself then yeah it is Your sex life. :) Happy Tootles...

ON JANUARY 5, 2011 AT 12:56 PM, HOPE SAID:

What bothers me on this show is that im sure most of these teens used birth control and still got prego. I have many friends and family that said they used birth control and still got prego plus some of them got STD's too. I know some adult females that have told me that they dont have s** with out a condom and still got HPV, so idk. I think teens tend to listen to what ever is going to compromise what they believe they want to do or maybe just plain manipulated. Think about it if teens were abstinent how many jobs would be lost. Doctors, Nurses, manufactures, distributers, welfare, income support, clinics, abortion clinics, CDC, researchers, scientists, educators, MTV, por* industry, pill pushers and more! Now these examples would never be fully gone, but sure would be decreased by the thousands. Lol it’s getting younger and younger…don’t you think that children aka the younger teens I guess, lol might be getting used and abused??? I think ya’ll older teens are too! Hey im only 9 years old (jk) and I know what is best for me and I make my Own choices! You all want McDonalds?

ON JANUARY 7, 2011 AT 2:14 PM, STAY TEEN SAID:

@ HOPE:

You say above that you think that people are using protection but are still getting pregnant or getting sexually transmitted infections (STIs).  While you're right that no birth control is 100% effective and that, if you're having sex, you do run the risk of an unplanned pregnancy or an STI, having sex without protection is risky and unsafe. If you're going to have sex, you have to use some form of birth control. The only way you can guarantee that you won't get pregnant or get and STI is to not have sex in the first place. You can get more info on our Birth Control 101 page (http://www.stayteen.org/birth-control-101) or email us at admin@stayteen.org if you have any more questions!

ON JANUARY 4, 2011 AT 5:40 PM, JASMINE SAID:

Don't be silly, wrap your willy! :D One day somebody should say that with jazz hands to their boyfriend right before sex, lol.