Pregnancy Project: Teen Voices

On the heels of its successful 2010 movie The Pregnancy Pact, Lifetime television again explores the way teen pregnancy affects families and communities with their latest original movie, The Pregnancy Project. The Pregnancy Project is based on the true story of Gaby Rodriguez, an 18-year-old Latina from Washington State who pretended to be pregnant as a way to explore the stereotyping of teen moms. Alexa Vega (Spy Kids) and Judy Reyes (Scrubs) star in the film, which premieres Saturday, January 28, 2012, at 8 pm et/pt.

Gaby (Vega), whose family has dealt with teen parenthood first-hand, conducts a social experiment for a school project to force her friends and classmates to confront their prejudices about teen parenthood.  She pretends to be pregnant (only sharing the truth with her boyfriend and mother) while documenting how she is treated and how it feels to be a “good girl” who gets pregnant.  Gaby reveals the shocking truth during a school assembly, sparking a national conversation about the fact that teen pregnancy can happen to anyone.

Want to hear what real teens are saying about The Pregnancy Project?

More Resources

• Get a sneak peek and more information about the movie here.
  • Read an excerpt from Gaby Rodriguez’s new book, The Pregnancy Project here.
  • Want to tell us what you thought of the movie? Click here to take a short survey!

ON MAY 5, 2012 AT 11:32 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

There's a book about it too - first time I heard of it was when I saw the book in Target. Read it in a day, and all I can think is: Brilliant. And completely crazy.

ON APRIL 14, 2012 AT 8:32 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm a latina and I know that were are judged the most because if you think of pregnant teen you automatically think of a Mexican and I <3 this movie it made me cry and alexa vega is an awesome actress I have respect for the real gaby rodriguez (my name is gaby too xD) because she had the guts to do this project and knew what was in store.

ON FEBRUARY 24, 2012 AT 2:54 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

it's too many girls pregnant and my couzin is one of them SMH!!

ON FEBRUARY 23, 2012 AT 4:56 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Umm.. in sixth grade your not supposed to know what sex is !

ON FEBRUARY 19, 2012 AT 12:22 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Im 11 in 6th grade and thers already a prego shes in my geography class shes lik 3 months preg

ON FEBRUARY 8, 2012 AT 9:48 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

my school is full of pregnate girls. i fill for them bc there so young.. somthing needs to be done

ON FEBRUARY 1, 2012 AT 4:37 PM, KATY10 SAID:

i like this movie. its very truthful to me about the way that students and even teachers and family react to a teen mother or even a teen father. i cant believe that with all the changes in the world, people would treat pregnant teens like they arent as good as them. that is horrible. we should be supporting them in the hard decisions that they have to make and help them to be informed about the many options that they have instead of putting them down like they are trash. they arent they just want to be good parents and even though they are young they still want to take responsibility for their actions and take care of the baby.