The Pregnancy Project
This Saturday, before I watched The Pregnancy Project on Lifetime, I was on edge about the content. Sex and getting pregnant isn't exactly a common household topic for me. There was just this elephant-in-the-room awkwardness because I knew mom would be thinking, "What if this was my daughter..." the entire time.
I was largely surprised, however, when the movie was beating down stereotypes and overcoming the vortex of labeling people while still showing a realistic depiction of how teens treat pregnant teens. The movie was very eye opening to me, I realized its true: "people aren't looking at your face, they're looking at your stomach" and "they don't see you, they just see the baby." I had never thought of having your sense of self completely stripped away because of a baby.
Also, it made you think of everyone in your life separately and how they would react. In our conversations after the movie, I learned that my mama is very sensitive to the subject of teen pregnancy and it's not always easy to talk about with her. This movie gave us wonderful reason to sit and have a heart to heart about something that really matters and is affecting teens all around me. I would positively recommend this movie to others, everyone should have to watch it. It delivers a powerful message against stereotypes, portrays the real side of pregnancy that otherwise we would have not thought of, and provides an overwhelming sense of hope for those who have been told their lives are over.
Shelby is 15 and from Shreveport, Louisiana. She is a member of The National Campaign’s Youth Leadership Team. Shelby is a true master of disguise; not only can she accurately imitate dozens of accents and dialects, her chameleon-like abilities allow her to blend into her surroundings. We still haven’t found her. Have a question for Shelby? Email us!
- Quizzes at school are lame, but this one is fun. You get an A+ just for taking it! Go ahead, brainiac. t.co/WLQvHMdkS7 #ND13
- Every day, more than 2000 teen girls get pregnant in the U.S. Get smart. Know the facts. Take the quiz @ t.co/WLQvHMdkS7. #ND13
- Did you enjoy the National Day Quiz? Then vote for us! #ND13 @BlueCadet t.co/MHBTjYc4wN
- Having fun, goofing off, quality time on Pinterest...what would YOU miss out on if you became a teen parent? t.co/G6Sly8ItTd #ND13
- RT @ABCFsecretlife: This week’s episode put many of the #SecretLifers in compromising positions. Discuss all the relationships here: http:/…