Long Distance: Is it Worth It?

September means the end of summer AND the end of summer romances…or maybe you’re separated from your long time sweetie because of school. Either way, the question becomes: what now? Is a long distance relationship worth it? If this is the question running through your mind, here are some things to consider:

Can you be where you are? Not only can a long distance relationship be tough on the relationship, it can also be tough on your personal life outside of the relationship. If you spend so much time and energy trying to keep in touch with your bf/gf and stay immersed in their world, it’s easy to miss out on your world. And especially if you’re the one going off to school, making a new life for yourself is important. If you’re really good at balancing things, and think you can stay in touch while at the same time remaining present in your own life…then this is less of a concern.

What is the end goal? Yes, you can’t expect to know “the one” immediately (especially when you’re young). But if you are going to put forth the effort be in a long distance relationship, you should definitely be thinking long term. Is your bf/gf someone that you see yourself with down the road? Or are they someone you love and care about deeply but just don’t really see a future with? (Or don’t see a happy future with….) If you don’t think there’s a good chance you could end up with the person you’re dating, going the distance just may not be worth it.

Does it make more sense to reconnect? Even if you do see yourself with someone long term, sometimes it makes more sense to plan to reconnect later. If you guys are going to be far apart for a long time and feel like you have some growing and exploring to do on your own, there is nothing wrong with planning to take a break. Sometimes you just have to do your own thing, and focus on yourself for a while. Then, you can come back to a relationship that’s stronger and more solid.

Can you trust each other? Trust is big in any relationship, but especially in long distance ones. There are going to be times when you’re not going to have a lot of time to talk, or when your bf/gf will be hanging out with other girls/guys. If you don’t completely trust each other then you’re going to drive yourselves crazy worrying about temptation. If your partner being faithful is a big concern, a long distance relationship is going to be that much harder.

Will it cause more harm than good? Related to the idea of reconnecting, it’s important to consider if going for a long distance relationship could do more harm than good. Do you think it will make you fight more? Will you be resentful of all the time you have to spend staying in touch? Are you going to bitter because you feel like you’re missing out on having a full life where you are? If trying to stay in a relationship is actually going to ruin your relationship, then having something long distance is completely counter productive.

If you really care about the person you’re being separated from, and can see yourself with them long term, then it’s probably worth giving a long distance relationship a shot. Realistically, you may not know the answers to many of the above questions until you’ve in a long distance relationship with your bf/gf. There’s nothing wrong with attempting to go the distance, and then reassessing a month or two down the road to see if it’s really the best idea.

Have you ever done the long distance thing? Did it work out for you or ultimately end up dooming the relationship? Tell us your story in the comments!

Amber Madison has been writing about sex, love, and relationships since college (she went to Tufts University) when she wrote for her school newspaper's sex ed column. Since graduating, she's published two books: Hooking Up: A Girl's All-Out Guide to Sex and Sexuality and Talking Sex With Your Kids and has been quoted in a ton of different media outlets from Seventeen magazine to MTV to NPR. Have a question for Amber? Send us an email!

ON NOVEMBER 23, 2014 AT 1:23 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

This is some really good advice, probably the best I've read so far.
I dont know what to do : Last year after summer the boy I liked told my class he was moving to South Africa (we live in England) in 3 months if the house sold. To put things straight: we ended up going out for a long time, his house never sold. Summer 2014 we decided to take a break, and soon after i ended things, but instantly regretted it. I missed him so so much. When September came we ended up going out again, and he told me about 2 months ago his house sold, I felt destroyed. In the end, the people found a better house and brought that. It turns out the house has sold for real this time and theyre moving in June 2015. I'm so upset, I dont know what to do. I love him so much

ON OCTOBER 28, 2014 AT 8:58 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Good advice. I'm dating someone long distance right now.

ON OCTOBER 20, 2014 AT 9:41 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Im 16 and in a long distance relationship with this amazing girl, we see eachother once about every two weeks shell come and stay at my house for 3 weeks.We probably argue more in person if anything. Dont miss out on someone just cause you cant see them every day

ON OCTOBER 2, 2014 AT 12:22 AM, SHAYLAH SAID:

My boyfriend and I met on a cruise to the Caribbean's and fell instantly for each other. We would stay up talking till 3 A.M about all of our deepest secrets. We can't see each other until he graduates (a year and a half) so now we text all the time and FaceTime every day. It is really hard to be in a LDR because you can't have all the physical connections, but i do believe that it is well worth it. I know that he will be with me for a long long time and thats worth the wait

ON SEPTEMBER 29, 2014 AT 10:04 PM, KIMBERLY SAID:

I am in a long distance relationship and I am so in love with him. He lives over 2,000 miles apart from me. I am in Florida and he is in Washington. We are planning on meeting this summer and we have been together for almost 5 months now and I know that its worth being in a ldr. Is it okay to be in love at 14? I think so he is so amazing. I will never give up on us

ON SEPTEMBER 21, 2014 AT 3:14 PM, KAYLA SAID:

Long distance relationships are art. It's a piece of work that you have to commit to and strive to succeed in if you truly want to. I am 17 and he's 16. My boyfriend and I met over twitter about 10 months ago. We started talking and instantly became best friends. As much as we liked each other we didn't want to start a long distance relationship because we weren't sure if that's what God wanted for our lives. For months, we prayed about it. On February 25th, 2014 he called me and at the end of the phone call he asked me to be his girlfriend. Since we were praying about it I knew that God was letting me know that it's okay to say yes, so I did. Months later here we are. In a few days were celebrating our seven months together. We haven't been able to see each other in person yet, because we live about a thousand miles apart. But we're working on planning on it. This guy is literally my best friend and he leads me closer to God everyday. I love him.

ON SEPTEMBER 20, 2014 AT 9:40 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

My Mum isn't allowing me to go see my girlfriend which is only a few hundred miles away...how will we work?

ON SEPTEMBER 7, 2014 AT 10:22 PM, CAITLIN BLAINE SAID:

Me and my boyfriend met on omegle when I was 15 (he was 18). He lives in scotland, and I live in florida. I'm now 17, and he's now 20. Mine and his parents are both okay with it, and we've been together for 1 year and 6 months (: We finally get to meet in either November or July and words can't describe how happy I am! LDR's can work! They're a pain in the but sometimes because distance sucks, but they're worth it when you really love someone <3

ON AUGUST 29, 2014 AT 12:45 AM, MYMYJAYLEE SAID:

I'm 13 my bf is 14. We live in different states. I met him at camp this summer and he's my BFF's cousin so he comes down every summer and most of the holidays. I really like him and I he told me he loved me. I think we can make this work even though we are young. I trust him even when everyone told me not to. They all told me don't date him because he's a player but then I got to know him and he isn't. He's really sweet and funny so long distance relationships do work! ;)

ON AUGUST 25, 2014 AT 1:26 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Long distance is never impossible. I promise you. My first love was a long distance and i couldn't ask for anything better. Its absolutely amazing to see two people,get so close,closer than anything else. Its amazing to see how far love can go. Distance shouldn't ruin something that can change your life weather its good nor bad. I love long distance relationships. Im in one right now,I'm 15 years old. And my boyfriend is 16. Im different then any other girls. Ive been hurt many many times with relationships. But with my boyfriend,its amazing. He makes me happier then anyone can,even though he hasn't even been hear with me in person. We get closer and closer every single day. He shows and proves that I'm his one and only. We understand each other and try our very best to help each other through problems. I can honestly say that i do love him,very much. Its very important to have trust,and for you two to communicate. Anyone can do a long distance relationship if the other person is really special to you. Its not that hard. Think of it as the other person is going to be your future,unlike everyone else in your life.

ON AUGUST 11, 2014 AT 5:08 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Hi, Im 16 and my boyfriend is 18 and he moved 7.000 kilometers away from his home town to go to college. We were seeing each other almost every day for 7 months until he had to leave. We talk about our future a lot and we both know that its going to work. I only see him every 5 months for a month but when we do see each other its like heaven on earth! You really learn to appreciate the time you have together and when you don't, you enjoy the time you have for yourself, which is very important because I'm still developing my character so I'm using this time to work on myself and try to focus on my education, family and friends. We talk regularly and were both very happy! I visit his family every now and then because they live quite near me and I love them like my own. We'll make it!
Even if its hard sometimes and you dont get full support from your family or friends, if you really love this person and you can trust each other no matter what, it's going to work!
Wish you all the best! x

ON JULY 17, 2014 AT 6:06 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm 14 and my bf is 15 its of course long distance but actually were not that far apart we both live in Canada me BC and him Alberta we haven't met yet but we skype, Kik, Snapchat and text all the time I love him so much its so difficult but I could never give up on him the only problem is I have a guy friend who wants to be more than friends so its choose someone I can actually have or wait for the long distance guy and I do love this guy friend but as a bf I dunno I can't ruin our relationship because if I dated him I think honestly it wouldn't work so I'm trying to stick to my long distance and its going pretty well but its difficult my life is so complicated sometimes aha I also haven't told my parents or family just friends and I mean I've tried hinting but they think my guy friend and I are dating like no awkward anyways ya so that's that very confusing I know

ON JUNE 19, 2014 AT 6:27 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Me and this girl met over this thing called omgele. She lives in Indiana, I live in Mississippi, and we like each other alot. But I don't think she wants to do a long distance relationship. What should I do?

ON MAY 28, 2014 AT 9:53 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm in a long distance relationship with a guy who lives in England. I live in America. We're both pretty young, (I'm 14 he's 13) and it's been going pretty good. We met on a cruise around Mexico and we've been skyping ever since. We have told each other everything and we have a really strong bond. We're best friends. Don't doubt that things will work. Just do your best to keep talking and always trust the other person. Never take advantage of the distance. I'm not sure if I'll ever see him again in person honestly, but if I do I will be extremely*** happy.

ON MAY 20, 2014 AT 9:44 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I met this wonderful guy on a missions trip to south america we went on together with a group of teens from his christian school. I used to go to that school when I was young, but moved away before he ever started going there. Anyway, we spent so much time on the trip together and really got to know each other very well. We have both prayed about each other and are still praying to see what God will do. After the trip I went back home after the trip. I live 6 hours away but I visit my grandparents who live 2 miles from him several times a year. We have been apart from each other for 27 days and it has been extremely difficult. We both care for each other deeply but we aren't currently dating. We decided to stay just friends and wait until we're older, but we still talk every day and we are both dying to see each other. We had a serious conversation the other night. He told me how hard it has been for him to be away from me and he's worried that having expectations will just make it hurt more later if we can't end up being together. The problem is, we can't erase our feelings for each other. We basically have two major options: dating or stop talking all together. I think both would be extremely difficult, as does he. We also don't think we are ready to start dating each other. I am a 15 yr old freshman and he is a 17 yr old junior. I am homeschooled and a pastor's daughter. In the end we decided to take a one week break to get our thoughts and emotions together. I am afraid that this week will be so hard on him that he'll want to sacrifice what we have so we don't get hurt in the future. He just recently got out of tough situation with a girl he liked for two years who kept breaking his heart over and over. She left the school and him with his shattered heart. He still has fresh wounds from that experience so now he's afraid and I don't blame him. I am willing to risk caring about him more even if I get hurt later, but he is afraid of hurting me and he doesn't want to "get in the way of the real guy God has for me". He doesn't think he can withstand a LDR even though it would kill him if we completely closed the door. This situation is very complicated and difficult and I am just praying and hoping for the best. I guess the moral of the story is don't get involved with somebody far away unless you are mature and ready to tackle difficult problems and emotional taxation. It takes some real work to get through an LDR. Good luck to you all.

ON MAY 1, 2014 AT 12:22 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Me and my bf we've been together for a year and I'm a freshman and he's a sophomore in high school and we talk all the time and take breaks or whatever and my family and his family met and our moms keep in contact like they are really good friends and they get along and me and him like that because during school breaks we get to fly down to see each other and stuff and we FaceTime and talk on the phone and I think our relationship will keep going because we have a strong connection and no one can break that especially the distance it is hard not having him to hold me and cuddle and everything but we will get to that point again

ON APRIL 4, 2014 AT 9:42 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'll try to make my long, complicated story as short as possible. My boyfriend and I met on an online chat room some time in January of this year, swapped kiks, and we've talked every single day since then. First the relationship began as a pretty awesome friendship, but honestly I felt entitled to stay in touch with him because he has a tough life. His friends say I'm the cure for his depression because he's a completely different person now. Anyway, we currently go out (1 month so far) and I'm his second girlfriend. I really like him a lot but lately I've been super paranoid because we live on two different continents with a six hour gap. He recently turned 15 and I'm about to turn 16 and he is so sweet and innocent, but I'm afraid sooner or later he will change. I'm afraid that he will take advantage of the distance and cheat on me because I've been cheated on before and it hurts :( he supposedly "loved" a handful of girls before me and now they seem to be coming around again. I want to take a break until we're older but I also don't want to. I'm so confused. I feel as if we're too young to be in a long distance relationship since we've never met physically. I think we'll miss out on certain things in life. It's not that I have my eyes on someone else, it's just that I have a heavy weight on me and the paranoia gets the best of me. I just want someone who I can actually see and touch just by holding hands.... and it's him that I want but the distance makes me sad. My girlfriends tell me not to break up and my guy friends fill me with negative things like how he's probably cheating at the moment. I asked my boyfriend if he was faithful and he said he was and that I was the only girl he has feelings for. He said he loved me for like the 1,000th time (we say it multiple times a day) we talk about getting married and yada yada yada and visiting but I'm not sure if it's real :/ I just don't know what to do and sorry for this big venting session. This was longer than I planned. Can someone give me advice? I need help please.

ON APRIL 3, 2014 AT 11:06 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I met my boyfriend on a cruise in the mediterranean. What a crazy place to meet someone. But when we first met, we felt an instant connection. We were up until 3am talking! After the first night we spent every day together. We text every day, and try to call and skype a few times a week. Only problem is, he lives in Colorado and I live in Canada...it's a 19 hour drive or a 2.5 hour flight but we both don't have the money to go visit. I feel like once we get out of high school it will be easier, but right now it is really hard....I love him a lot and we both want it to work out.

ON MARCH 26, 2014 AT 10:50 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I am in a long distance relationship I met him on Instagram we text Skype and kik call and were super close we just get along like its nothing but I have trust issues lol like major trust issues I'm scared that if a random girl messages him and tell him "I'm horny sen me a pic" he'll do it .. Because he almost did it before so I think he's going to cheat on me but he's so committed to me I feel bad for giving him a hard time ... Besides that we get along good another problem I have is I can't press the issues that I want him to let his friends and family know that he's taken by be I wanna do the same but ppl aren't supportive with meeting ppl online an dating them lol not at my age other teens will say say I'm "thirsty" or some shit like that but idk those are my only two problems I know we're gonna make it but at the same time I feel like my past issues are gonna screw me over with this boy do you have any advice for me ?

ON MARCH 22, 2014 AT 12:37 PM, CHRISTY SAID:

hey,i'm 13 and i'm in a long distance relationship.i live in Nigeria while my bf lives in Saudi Arabia.We both love each other very much.He plays soccer.His best friend has gotten his heart broken by a girl before and he became a total asshole.He tells my bf that i don't love him and i'll leave him and many times they fight and i always feel bad because i don't want 2 be the cause of their fight since they'd been best friends since forever.I really love my bf and i don't want 2 lose him.What should i do.

ON JANUARY 19, 2014 AT 12:29 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

My boyfriend and I live in America. We used to be friends when we were toddlers but then lost touch completely until we were reunited in high school. We became best friends again and then started dating in march 2013. I moved with my family to Scotland for a year (5 months after i started dating my boyfriend). I've been in scotland for 6 months now, and next month is my 1 year anniversary!
Our relationship been rough but beautiful. The distance proves how much we are dedicated to each other. The only problem is the time difference, which has its negative effects on out relationship,. I wake up very early to skype him and he stays up really late, so we are very tired when we talk and our conversations get really awkward and boring, but our love is real and we understand that there's nothing wrong with us, its the time difference.
Also, he's visiting in 3 weeks so that will patch things up! Make sure you're boyfriend/girlfriend visits you at least once! It gives you something closer to look forward too than just the end date of your year.
It is incredibly hard, but i believe it can and will work if you put 100 % into it.

ON JANUARY 16, 2014 AT 12:56 PM, MARSHA SAID:

Ok, well I've been dating this guy name quantavius. He's always been there for me even when we didn't go out. On November the 1st i moved to Florida, n he's in Atlanta Georgia. We always used to txt each other. He gave me his kik n stuff n we always txt each other no matter wat. He hangs with two of my exs. But it's kind of weird to me him n my exs hanging out together. So one day he txt me n told me Marsha i like u a lot. N i was like wait, wat. I though he was playing. But he really wasn't he was so serious.
One day before my birthday he asked me out but i didn't know wat to say. I just told him i needed sum time to think about it. N he was like ok. So on December 19,2013 i told him that I'll go with him. N he was happy. But then i asked him if he really wants to be in a long distance relationship he said for me anything, but its kind of difficult because my exs r telling him stuff that's not true n im just sick of it.
He says he doesn't believe them but who knows. We talk after school if I'm not busy n sum times in the night. He calls me babe n says he luvs me but i thin he's just saying that.
One day i was so mad at him cuz we didn't txt in a week. I told him that if he wants it could be over because i know he has dreams n a future n i don't want to get in the way of that. I told him if he was gonna brake my heart like everyone else to tell me n I'll move on. He txt me saying im sorry Marsha but i finally got a job n i want to stay with u cuz i luv u n don't want to be with anyone else or too c anyone else neither n i was like ok. I just don't.know wat to do because one of my ex has a gf n got he pregnant but he tells me he luvs me n misses me but im trying to forget bout him but i just can't. Plz HELP ME.

ON JANUARY 7, 2014 AT 7:27 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I started talking to my gf when i was 14. we were in an LDR for 5 years before we met. We are now happily living together after I moved countries just 4 months ago. LDR sometimes does work!!!

ON NOVEMBER 14, 2013 AT 2:11 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

been in an LDR for a little over 6 months. we both live on the opposite sides of the US. I never met her in person but our first meetup is when she moves here in august.

we're probable one of the first ever SUCCESSFULL "under 17" couples. :)

ON SEPTEMBER 15, 2013 AT 4:14 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Well its been the first I've been in a long distant relationship.he's a guy I met in the summer holiday and he's so amazing but sometimes I really worry abt it becuz I wonder if it work out right now i 'm at home and he lives very far away ,hardly get in contact with but no reply .but still have faith in him maybe we will still be together in the future

ON AUGUST 28, 2013 AT 10:41 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Im 16, I just started a long distance relationship. He's in Europe and I'm in the states.... So far its been going amazing! But I'm realizing that he's making plans with friends, I get jealous because I miss him so much! I'm also worried he's going to hook up with someone else or realize that he wants something more than long distance! We always talk about our future and that we will get married. So I'm not sure how things will work out, but I hope they will end up great!

ON AUGUST 8, 2013 AT 5:22 PM, AIDAN SAID:

hi I am 13 and I met this girl on a chatroom. she and I started talking and we found out that we have a lot in common. so I asked her for her kik and eventually her phone number. we started doing video chat and voice chat, and are now dating. we always talk all mushy together but she lives in Texas and I live in PA. Help plz! email me at abarne1115@gmail.com. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME:D

ON JULY 25, 2013 AT 5:59 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

HY MY BOYFRIEND ND I JST GRADUATED FRM HIGH SCHOOL ND WE RE INTO A LDR...,BT HE DOSEN'T Call me or send txt,messages d only tym we tok z wen we meet on social networkz nd its seemz am d only one puttin in effort by constantly sending txt messages nd callin him bt i decided to stop as it seemed i was gettin too clingy bt d story z stil d same...,actually he has talked to,me dat he z rily interested in marryin me in d future bt am nt satisfied wit dat..,,,plz help me cn we rily go d distance or i shuld jst call it off

ON JUNE 28, 2013 AT 4:38 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

It is good advise,but my boyfriends ex-girl fried just told him she still loves him.And she kissed him,can I trust him??

ON JUNE 2, 2013 AT 9:12 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Im 15 and im in a long distance relationship nd it sucks

ON MAY 27, 2013 AT 6:52 PM, AMBIE SAID:

Every year my family goes on a family vaction during Thanksgiving. I met this boy during the week of my stay. I felt a connection to him but I couldn't show it at that time. My two younger cousins and I snuck out to go to the beach to meet up with him and his cousin... Right when we got there, I heard music. He was playing the guitar and he played sooo beautifully. I felt like we bonded on the music he was playing because I can play the guitar too. When I had to leave after that week, I really started to miss him because we lived far away from eachother. I was seeing a different boy at the time and I wanted to stay loyal to my bf... But I really felt something special about the one I met on my vacation. He and I both stayed in touch and I eventually broke up with my boyfriend. The more we talked to eacother, the more we bonded about ALOT of the same things. We really want to be together but it feels like it's impossible sometimes. We aren't dating but maybe someday we might be able to. Most of the time I feel bad because I feel like I'm holding him back from seeing other people. I feel like he's sooo perfect and that he can do better than me....

ON APRIL 1, 2013 AT 7:50 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I met this girl in January and I tried to teach her how to skate we both enjoyed it in fact she called me the next day and indirectly said she wanted to be with me. I really like her and I know she likes me but she lives in Maracopa and I live in chandler and being in school and gone for summer its hard to be with her the only times I could see her is in January and september

ON MARCH 27, 2013 AT 6:44 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Hi I'm thirteen and I met this guy he is really nice and we liked each other now were going out. He lives really far away, which makes me really scared. We both promised that we will met each other in the future. Thanks for the help :)

ON FEBRUARY 5, 2013 AT 1:44 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I had a relationship for 5 months and i had to move to South Korea from the USA away from my Gf. IT sucks i want to cry sometimes, it's just so hard i don't know what to do. The time difference is so weird, so we barely talk and it sucks. It's our 8 months soon, and i can't do anything for it. I'll be away from her for 2 more years.

ON JANUARY 28, 2013 AT 7:21 PM, LOVE 20 HOURS AWAY SAID:

I'm 15 and my boyfriend is 15 we met online and have been together for 6 months, I really do feel like I love him. But the problem is I live in Illinois and he lives in Florida, quite the distance but I'd rather it be Florida than any other state because every summer I go to Florida. This summer I do plan on meeting him. He's just everything I've ever wanted. I know I seem young and naive and you're probably reading this thinking I'm too young to know what love is but in actuality everyone knows what love is if you've ever love a mother or father or brother or sister. And quite frankly I'm about as mature as an 18 year old woman I've been told I'm very mature for my age. And so is my boyfriend. He goes to a prestigious high school basically it's like a college high school, only the top 100 in like 5 cities make it into the school and you have to maintain a certain gpa to stay in he school and its free if you do so. He's really smart and he loves me and wants to treat me better than I was treated in the past. 7-20-12 <3

ON JANUARY 27, 2013 AT 10:00 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Me and my bf got into a relationship the day I left my hometown. At first it wasn't hard, both of us were eager to stay connected despite the time difference. One month later he was becoming elusive when I start to talk about "us." It's like he doesn't want to talk about anything about us anymore. But then later on he explained that his parents doesn't know that's why he's avoiding sensitive topics to avoid being caught. I tried to break up with him that night because he's still not allowed, but he doesn't want to. He said we could wait for the right time without breaking up. One month after that he wasn't talking to me anymore. I guess it's because he's busy because of his exams. And I was like, Okay then I'll wait. But until now he's not striking a conversation with me. I don't know if I would still remain faithful and loyal... I tried breaking up with him again on our second-month anniversary but he ignored what I've said. He just greeted me "Happy monthsary..." etc. I hope he has reasons. It's hard holding on to something... on the cliff. To all the other teens out there who are in a long distance relationship do make sure that you reserve time for your gf/bf and give assurance that you still want your relationship to get going.

ON JANUARY 12, 2013 AT 4:44 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Im currently in a long distance relationship,he 1st didn't tel me he has a child and they stil 2gether with the mother,i found out and i 4gave,they broke up and now has a gf at his college,he wants me 2compete wth the gal n c who makes him happy,help pls!

ON DECEMBER 23, 2012 AT 1:56 AM, ANONYMOUSLOUIE SAID:

I'm in one now my girlfriend is two states away from me. I miss her so much n she misses me we are faithful and we love each other so very much

ON DECEMBER 8, 2012 AT 9:27 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm 16, I was dating this guy for 2 and a half years, who is also 16, and out of the time we spent together, 1 and a half years was long-distance. I decided to end this because I didn't see this going anywhere, as we would have to continue with this whole long distance thing for 3 more years. I believe in true love and everything but one has to be practical too :/

ON NOVEMBER 25, 2012 AT 9:48 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I am in a long distance relationship and am not sure if it will work out. I really hope it does because I'm very skilled at keeping in touch, but I don't know if he is. We have been friends for two years and just made the leap to finally admitting that we like each other as more than friends. I live 3 1/2 hours away as a freshman in college and he is a senior in high school. He doesn't text or use facebook that often, but I'm actually pretty happy about that because it's not that meaningful to me. He does, however, call me. He's such a sweetheart and I hope this works out. If not, just means there is someone else out there :)

ON NOVEMBER 25, 2012 AT 3:45 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm in a long distance relationship and I have been with for 2 years and 3 months yes it's hard but if both of you really love each other then it would word out
We live about 3 hours away from each other

ON NOVEMBER 22, 2012 AT 11:30 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm 18 and my boyfriend is 22. I'm from Ireland and he is from Scotland. We've been talking since I was 14, I then met him when I was 16 and for the first 9 months he came to visit me, we saw eachother quite regularly, about once a month. Then he moved over here to live with me and my family. He lived here for over a year and we started the same university in September but our courses wern't suited to us so we left. He has moved back home to Scotland and I am back with my family in Ireland. It wasn't difficult at all to be in a long-distance relationship at the begining but after having lived together to go back to that is really testing our relationship. Before I had school and he had college, we could text/talk all the time. Now we are both working odd shifts it is proving really difficult to find time to talk and plan to meet up. We seem to fight a lot more now, and we always make up but it's just proving really difficult. We plan to apply to university soon, to attend next year but I think that's what has made this so difficult in the first place. I just want to say good luck to anyone who is in a long distance relationship or planning on being in one soon. It really can work and be an amazing experience but it does take it's toll on you after a while. We've been together for 2 years and 2 months, I just hope we make it.

ON NOVEMBER 16, 2012 AT 8:50 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

i am going to move and i don't know if this is gonna work...

ON NOVEMBER 10, 2012 AT 4:44 PM, LANEY SAID:

I'm currently in a Long Distance relationship. He and I aren't actually talking too much right now because he's moving. He's moving closer to me, though. Which is a good thing. I really miss him and I hate not being able to have him text me. He and I skyped a few times and used to text all the time. I'm hanging in there, he's worth the wait. I hope the move goes faster because I really miss having him text me or skype me. Once he gets to Wisconsin he's getting his own P.O. BOX and I'll be able to send him stuff. I plan on sendimg him stuff for Christmas. The thing is, I still haven't told my parents about him. I was in a L.D.R. before, and my mum was fine with it, but I don't know about my dad. I think they'd like him alot because he's sweet, smart and has good grades, nice. I love him a lot. I just miss him. Oh, god. I just went on a rant. Sorry for the people who actually read what I wrote. I needed to get my feelings out.

ON NOVEMBER 8, 2012 AT 11:14 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

It does work if you are both willing to trust eachother and if you really love that person. Sure, you cant be with them on the weekends or kiss them but you know that when you are together the relationship you both have is stronger than the ones when you are around eachother daily. Plus, you can learn more about eachother in the time you are apart. I would never give the guy i love up for anyone where i live. He has my heart and i have his. We trust and love eachother. We make time for eachother. We do cute little things like watch our favorite tv shows or movies together while on the phone. We text when we cant talk. I mean i never wanted to me in a long distance relationship but it happened and i would never go back and change it now. I cant imagine my life without him. He is my best friend and the guy i want to spend the rest of my life with.. If we can make it through a year being 14 hours away then we can get through any struggle we may face in the road ahead. Have faith and trust in God.. If its meant to be he will let it happen.. if its not then it will end.. Have fun with whatever you may choose. <3

ON OCTOBER 27, 2012 AT 3:15 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm currently in a "semi" long distance relationship. Meaning, we live in the same city/town, but go to different high-schools & never get to see each other.
It's not easy. He's 18, & I'm 15, so he'll be graduating this year, and I won't. I love him with all my heart, and we talk about our future together all the time. I think we have a chance of being together for a very long time <3
It has made our relationship hard, especially since I went to his high-school for the first 3 & a half months of our 7 month relationship, then it was summer vacation, and now schools in again. I miss him all the time, but we text & occasionally talk on the phone. We also try and make sure we get to see each other sometimes, but we're both very busy so I doesn't happen a lot.
If you really love somebody, I think you can make it work.

ON OCTOBER 27, 2012 AT 12:06 AM, KIRSTEN SAID:

I am in a long distance relationship, We are working out just fine!!
LDR do work!! If you really love the person you will stay tgether FOREVER.
I am 13 years old a girl and i have a girlfriend she is my everything i love her

ON AUGUST 29, 2012 AT 10:59 PM, AVA SAID:

i want my ex to read this

ON AUGUST 18, 2012 AT 3:08 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I have been in a long distance relationship for a little while now, and I really love the guy. The problem is that we can't Skype and financially we can't afford to visit each other. He is almost 3,000 miles away from me and it's frustrating that I can’t touch him or kiss him. I trust him but sometimes I'm scared that he is going to find someone else to love, I guess what I mean is that I don't want to get hurt, and I don't want to lose him. I do know that the distance makes me love him more; every moment that I spend with him is special to me. The time that I spend talking to him is precious and sacred. Any guy that will take the time to type/write his feelings to you must care about you. Getting to hear/read that my boyfriend loves me makes the distance seem smaller and in that one instant everything seems okay and I know that I can hold on and wait for the day that I get to hold him in my arms.

ON JULY 13, 2012 AT 2:03 AM, RACHEL SAID:

My boyfriend just went to New York from Kanas to go to west point United States Military Academy. I'm a senior in high school this year and he is just starting college. We have only been dating for four months but we have 100% intentions to stay together and make this work! The first 6 weeks he is there, he is in basic training so our only form of communication is through writing letters. Through all of this, it has only brought us closer together. You cherish those moments when you are together more so than you would if you could always be together. Long distance makes you learn how to communicate with each other to get your point across and really makes you open up with each other on a deeper level. The last thing about long distance relationships is that it won't always be long distance, eventually there will be a time where you are both done with college and can be together everyday! The goal going into a long distance relationship has to be long term! :) Good luck to all you! I would almost go as far to say that everyone, at some point in their relationship, should try only being able to communicate through letters for 6 weeks. It's fun and exciting to run to the mailbox everyday and it can be a very romantic phase of your life! <3 Long distance is worth it in the end, so hang in there! :)