How to Get Your Parents to Understand

You may think your parents are lame or don’t understand you, but surprisingly, the majority of teens say that their parents’ opinion of their boyfriend or girlfriend means a lot to them.  In fact, some would go so far as to say they wouldn’t date someone their parents didn’t like. But what if you’ve met an amazing guy or girl who you’re totally into and then the “meet the parents moment” is a total bust? Is it possible to change their minds?

Maybe, but it’ll take some work on your part. If your parents have concerns about your boyfriend or girlfriend, it’s best to hear them out rather than dismissing them as lame or overprotective. Maybe the problem is truly just a misunderstanding. They thought he or she was rude and unfriendly, but you know that they’re just painfully shy and were super nervous about meeting your parents. Tell your parents why you like this person so much, what their best qualities are. It also wouldn’t hurt to throw in some of the thoughtful things they do for you.

It also helps to get them in the same room together on a regular basis. Start hanging out at your house more frequently, invite your boyfriend or girlfriend to come for dinner or to your little brother’s baseball game. The more your parents see the two of you interacting together in low pressure situations, the more apt they are to come around. Plus, if your sweetie is willing to spend time with the fam, that’s gotta earn them some points.

If you’ve tried all of these tactics and your parents still don’t approve of your boyfriend or girlfriend, you may need to take an honest look at why that is. Sometimes when we’re in a relationship, we’ve got the love blinders on, which can make it hard to see things for what they are. Your parents may think he or she treats you badly or is too controlling. Is this true? It may be hard to believe but your parents really do have your best interests at heart. Ask yourself these questions:

• Does my boyfriend/girlfriend get upset with me if I can’t hang out all the time?
  • Are my friends mad at me because I never see them anymore?
  • Does my boyfriend/girlfriend put me down or make me feel bad about myself?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, your parents might just be on to something.

Funding for this project was provided by the United States Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Grant Number: 90-FE-0024. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families.

Michelle Hainer is a freelance writer and editor whose work has appeared in numerous national publications including InStyle, The Washington Post, People, and Teen People. A former teen magazine editor, Michelle’s covered everything from pregnancy to peer pressure and is now covering all things relationship for Stay Teen. Have a question for Michelle? Send us an email!

ON APRIL 21, 2014 AT 2:04 PM, ALICEMARIE SAID:

UGH. Alright. My boyfriends name is Cameron, hes 15 and he is just amazing. I love him with everythhing i have. Im 16. Recently, Cam and i did the dirty.. I got scared and told my parents. Yeah. Really dumb right? its really depressed me. the fact that i dont have my phone anymore, so i wont be able to communicate with him all summer. Yesterday, my parents told me that they wont always support the decisions i make, including still dating cameron. So im afraid to tell him that we cant date anymore. I dont want our feelings to change. I want us to be able to date sometime in the future and so things the right way... my parents seemed to be cool with that decision... i just want to make things okay with my parents so that cams and is relationship can be okay. I really love him. and i feel like its all my fault for ruining our relationship. I cant lose him. Please Help:(

ON APRIL 13, 2014 AT 5:23 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Parents just don't want grand kids early! Lol.

ON APRIL 13, 2014 AT 12:14 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Well im 15 and my mom doesnt like my gf and the only reason that i know of that she doesnt like her is that shes ugly to my mom but to me shes soooo pretty and i would do anything for her i just really want to be able to see her freely without having to worry about my mom being mad at me is their anything i could do to help my situation out at all

ON APRIL 10, 2014 AT 3:00 AM, CATE SAID:

I'm almost fourteen and I'm not interested in guys at all outside of being friends. But for those whose parents disapprove - it's not worth it. Also, why is everybody so obsessed with dating? People who are dating basically just do what friends do, but it's more awkward. Just be real close friends with the guy. You can go to the mall and restaurants and do fun stuff together like you would with any other friend. And I'm sure parents wouldn't disapprove of friendship - because it's just that, friendship. If you really love each other than it's probably best to stay friends until you're older. Don't you think there is something just so romantic and beautiful about friends who have known each other forever and turn into something more than just friends?

ON APRIL 7, 2014 AT 11:24 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 3 months now and he recently met my mom yet she wasn't a complete fan of him, and my birthday is coming up so she had agreed to not tell my dad I was going to go eat with him and we would say I was going to a friends house and my boyfriend would pick me up there but now my mom does not wanna lie to my dad and all of a sudden doesn't want to lie to him. So now what do I do?

ON APRIL 4, 2014 AT 10:49 AM, DIANA SAID:

My boyfriend and I have been together for approximately 2 months, and we've been friends for about a year and a half. He means the world to me and I know he loves me just as much. On Valentines he got me a necklace and made me promise to always wear it, and I did. When my mom saw it she realized there was a guy in the picture. She wasn't happy about the situation. She told my dad. He got pissed as well. But they both accepted the situation because I told them I wont break up with him ever. His mom and dad both know about me and love me very much, I only wish my parents could be the same. And now Im grounded with no phone and cannot talk to him on weekends, it depresses me my parents are like this and I just worry about losing him sometimes :(

ON APRIL 3, 2014 AT 4:12 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Im 16 and my bf is 20 and my parents want me to break up with him but he means the world to me. We are in love,and my parents can't see that. We've been dating for 2 months. What do I do ):

ON MARCH 31, 2014 AT 4:48 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Wow this means I'm not alone!!!!!!! I'm 13 and this boy and I have been friends for a while and we're both kind of shy. He asked me out and I'm beginning to love him and he asked me if I could go to the mall with him for our first date.i want to tell my mom and dad but I just don't know how. Please help me!!!!!!!! I said yes to him but how should I tell my parents. I'm already thinking about only telling my mom but I just don't know how to tell her without her getting mad and taking my phone away ( like she does on a regular basis but I need my privacy and it gets in my nerves when she takes it. So any ideas? Please help the date is this Saturday April 5th thanks and sorry for writing so much :)

ON MARCH 31, 2014 AT 7:13 AM, LEILA SAID:

I've been dating my boyfriend for 4 months & around our 2nd month my mom found out. She wasn't happy but she accepted & told my dad & he felt the same way. I told my boyfriend and he was willing to tell his parents about us because we're really in love. He told his dad & his dad seemed pretty cool about it but then when he told his mom everything flipped. In the end they wanted us to break up but we can't lose eachother, so he told his parents we broke up & stayed friends.
They found out a second time & threatened to take him out of karate bc that's the only time we see eachother and he told his parents we'd break up again, but we never did the first time. Yesterday we were texting on kik and I told him I love him and he left me on read, i texted him again to make sure nothing happened and still on read. a couple more texts were on delivered and when I texted him goodnight it said sent. He never leaves me on read so I'm afraid he got caught again. Idk what to do, We really love eachother& i can't lose him. I need him. I want his parents to see how happy we make eachother and we truly love eachother. H E L P.

ON MARCH 27, 2014 AT 12:11 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

My girlfriend..well soon to be girlfriend is 15 and I'm 18 I don't know how her parents are going to react to this .. She says she's had older boyfriends in the past but yet she's single which leads me to believe that her parents didn't approve of her past relationships, I know all the right things to say and what not but still ..

ON MARCH 18, 2014 AT 5:00 PM, BELLA SAID:

umm.. okay i have this really awesome boyfriend nd my parents are comfortable with him but his mum does not like me very much! what do i do?

ON MARCH 14, 2014 AT 7:24 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm 18 and my bf is 16 . I know boy mature later then girls but his not a bad guy at all and hes actually really mature. He's not my bf yet because my parents don't approve of him cause she said he's too young and she's gets pissed everything I ask to go somewhere with him. She never let's me go and I don't think it's right especially if she hasnt even met him yet. I know she would absolutely love him. He has goals in life he doesn't get in to trouble he' is a great athlete and has great things going for him. He is so different from the other guys I've "dated" and he has great parents. But it's hard to enjoy him when my parents don't let me see him. All I have is school to physically be with him. But now I feel like I have to sneak to see him but in my past relationship I had to sneak everything with him cause he wasn't a good person but this one is actually good and would feel great to have an open relationship with him and my parents but they don't want nothing to do with us being together. I need help):

ON MARCH 3, 2014 AT 11:23 AM, JACKIE SAID:

My parents don't want me with an army guy but I have fallen head over heels in love with him. They don't know that we've been talking for a few months and I know how they'd react. I just don't know what to do. I feel like it's starting to come between mine and his relationship.

ON MARCH 2, 2014 AT 9:59 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'll be eighteen in 3 days. I've been dating my boyfriend for ten months and he makes me incredibly happy. We have a great relationship and love to talk dirty to each other when we aren't together. Yesterday, mom's boyfriend read through our messages. Without talking to me he immediately texted my boyfriend calling him a piece of and all of this other stuff. He even told him he would file a police report and establish rape charges. (This of course is ridiculous because my boyfriend is 18 and I will be in 3 days. Plus it goes both ways.) He told my mom everything which makes me look like a mega skank. It was JUST words. If I'm dating him and really love him why is it such a big deal? My mom's boyfriend told my boyfriend that he won't ever see me again. I absolutely hate him. He isn't even my father. My mom won't even look at me. She also has a pretty big mouth and I'm pretty sure my whole family knows now. What the hell am I supposed to do? I love this boy and I want to be with him. He is so good to me.

ON FEBRUARY 26, 2014 AT 10:45 PM, HOPE SAID:

Hi im Hope i'm thirteen years old and i have this really cute boyfriend who is a year older then me. We've been dating for two weeks and both of our parents know. The only one not on board with me dating him is my mom. I really love my boyfriend and he feels the same way.Me and my boyfriend are in a long distance relationship the only way for us to talk is by phone or when my dad takes me to wrestling practice. Me and my boyfriend have tried everything that we can possabley do. I love my mother i just hate that she is trying to runnen my relationship. We've both have had a ruff couple of months. I was fight with depresion and my mother was fighting with my dad. My boyfriend is the one who brought me out of the dark. I just dont understand why my mother doesnt like him. He's super cute, cam, funny, sporty, has a great personality, has really good grades, and treats everybody with respect. I wish that my mother understude how i feel. I wish she would just relize i'm growing up and falling in love.

ON FEBRUARY 26, 2014 AT 10:25 PM, HOPE SAID:

I'm thirteen years old and i'm in love with this guy. He's a year older than me and is very sweet. My fother even teaches him wriestling and approves are relationship. My mother is the one not on board. She is to me like findnig these little reasons why i cant see him. I love her very much i just wish she would stop trying to runnen my relationship. My boyfriend loves me and treats me with respect is that not enough? My mother is taking everything that i could possable use to talk to my boyfriend. I dont know what her problem is. I'm groing up i'm no longer a little girl. I'm even writtng a book of my own and she doesnt approve of that ether. Everybody eles seems to have my side but her. Doesnt she want me to be happy? I was stuck in depression for a long period of time until i met my boyfriend. He took me off the dark path that i was heding down. I just wished she uderstuded and trusted me better. I really do love her it just seems to me i have to keep everything a secret from her.

ON FEBRUARY 22, 2014 AT 10:03 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Should I give up on a guy that I've liked for almost a year bc his mom won't let us date bc he dated my sister?

ON FEBRUARY 19, 2014 AT 10:01 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Well my boyfriend smoke pot and my dad firgured out, now he won't let me date him anymore, I really like him a lot and I have been hiding it, how can I let my parents understand why they should still let me date him?

ON FEBRUARY 2, 2014 AT 5:41 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I am 17 and my boyfriend and I have been dating for a month and a half and he still has not told his mom. His dad passed away and I'm his first girlfriend, so he's afraid of how his mom is going to react. We rarely hang out and when we do he always has go lie to his mom about where he is. Were really into each other and he feels terrible he is not giving me the respect I deserve. It would break my heart to end it with him, so should I give it more time? My family wants me to break it off with him but I don't want to because once he tells his mom everything would be perfect

ON JANUARY 27, 2014 AT 7:34 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

please help me guys..i am 17 and my bf is an year younger. we love each other a lot and its a long distance relationship. our parents don't accept each other because we should concentrate on our studies and being in a relation now is not right according to them. we do well in school and help and complement each other. i need him. our parents were very angry when they found out we were in a relation and we just thought we would just keep texting secretly and he would come to where i live for college and we can convince our parents somehow. i really need him. his parents found out again for the second time and took away his phone and gave him a really stupid one...what do we do?

ON JANUARY 21, 2014 AT 3:22 PM, ADY SAID:

if i would b a father i wil never rule over my daughter or my son their feelings i vl never turn down their feelings i m unlunck bt i vl make dem lucky to have their love 1

ON JANUARY 21, 2014 AT 3:14 PM, ADY SAID:

i am 18 yrs old nd m in a serious realtion wid a grl v love each other alot bt today my gf sis saw us nd she has objection regardin my relegion v dnt knw wht to do v love each other alot nw 2morrw her moms gonna cum nd have a conversation wid me guys need ua help to convience her mom plzzzz

ON JANUARY 18, 2014 AT 4:51 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Im 13 and i've been dating my best friend for 3 months (hes a guy) and his parents know but not mine. His mom gave me 3 days to tell my parents but i choked everytime i was about to tell them. Shes tried to tell my mother but failed. I really want them to know because i feel bad because im keeping it from them. But my sister is 16 and isnt allowed to date so im kinda freaked out.

ON JANUARY 15, 2014 AT 12:48 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm 18 and the guy i'm interested in is 20. He's a sweetheart and I can really see myself being with him for a while. As a matter of fact, he wants to move in together and marry me...looked up all the information and everything. He's just waiting for me to pack my things up and go. I've talked to his mother before and she approves of our relationship. She even offered to help us out with paying for the apartment. The only thing is that my mother does not approve of him. He's not tall, dark, and handsome, but hey, that's the guy I love. The way they met each other was not necessarily ideal either. She gave him a ride somewhere and when he got in the car and got out, she was under the impression that he did not say hello or thank you and instantly began calling him rude. She did not know he was my boyfriend at the time because I thought sneaking around would get us further....well it didn't. The second time they met was not pleasant either. She found me after I left in attempt to run away with him. There are more details that go along with that story, but now she thinks he is controlling and that I have fallen into an abusive relationship. The messed up part is that I'm split between the two. I Love my mother with all my heart...DEARLY, but I also love him. I can't stay with her forever but I also do not want to move far away to a city where I don't know anyone or have contact with my loved ones. I see some of the abusive signs too but they seem like issues that can be addressed and fixed. But for the record..SNEAKING AROUND AND LYING IS NOT THE ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!! All of that catches up with you in one way or the other. If you have a boyfriend and you have to hide him from your parents then that just means that they're not the right one for you.

ON JANUARY 13, 2014 AT 11:46 AM, FRUSTRATED AND CONFUSED SAID:

I'm 14 years old. I have been talking to this guy for about 3 months and I really like him. He's sweet and understanding, and funny. Whenever we talk the stress of the day melts away and I feel better. I'm not sure yet whether I actually like like him or not, but he likes me and he's made that clear through texting. My parents are very overprotective and actually read through all of our texts and I'm now grounded because he's flirting with me. Is that not insane? I have been talking to them about it and they say I'm too young to date and that I shouldn't have been talking to him so much and leading him on. I told them I just want to be friends with him, but they're taking the whole situation really seriously and don't even want us to text anymore. I feel smothered and untrusted by my parents and honestly they just make me so unbelievable angry. I'm mature and I can handle myself, but they just want to control my life. Help?

ON JANUARY 8, 2014 AT 4:00 AM, JULISA MARTINEZ SAID:

my mom and dad wont let me date for some reason and i dint know why. im 15 and never had a bf because i respec my mom and dad but the sweetheart dance is comming up soon and i really want to go but not alone like ive been doing that last 15 years of my life. i see couples all around me in movies in resturaunt at school and i think to my self would i ever be liked like that i have this one guy i really like and i bet hasnt even noticed me cuz im friends wiwth the trouble maker. my cousin says hey i cant wait till you get a bf so we can go on a double date and its like to me i feel like no one will ever like me parents dont understand not letting their kids date makes them feel lonly and parents dont like it when there lonly so why should we have to sufffer and not be loved/liked. i swear i have never once been asked out and i feel like a total loser for it. i never get to leave the house not even to go spend the night at a friends house. the only time i can have fun is if i go somewhere with my mom and dad and i dont think it fair my friends have this thig where after the weekend is over where we tell each other what we did over the weekend and they said oh went to the movies with my bf,or oh just went out to eat with my bf, and im just sittting there and they ask me what i did iver the weekend and im like oh ya know i slept watched tv and ate ice cream by my self nothing wronge with that. so ya parents stop messing with our lives and sry if i wrote so much i just got so caught up in the moment and ive never really expressed my feeling like this before

ON DECEMBER 10, 2013 AT 9:50 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm 17 bout to turn 18 in June. I'm about to start dating this 22 year old guy. He said he will wait for me but I honestly can't wait six months to date him, I Jst want to date him now. But my parents won't let me cause I'm 17 idk what to do:/ my parents Jst don't understand...

ON DECEMBER 9, 2013 AT 3:56 PM, KAITLYN SAID:

I'm 14, and I really like this guy that goes to my church. But the problem is I don't know how to tell my parents about him, even though my parents and his parents are really great friends. It just makes things harder for me. I have liked him now for a few months, but I don't want to tell my parents because they don't think I'm old enough to date. I don't really care about that I just want them to know I like someone. They have said that I'm not aloud to "courtship" (when you go somewhere with someone and have an adult with you) till I'm 18, and I totally respect that. the problem is I have no idea on how to tell them I like this guy. Any advice????

ON DECEMBER 7, 2013 AT 3:32 AM, FORCED TO BE TORN APART! SAID:

When my parents found out of my "secret BF" Which is my crush, we are very close and it stinks when mom cries and says that she is worried about me and saying he is taking advantage of sex but look, he is a descent guy and he is looking forward to protect me and my mum doesn't believe whatever i say. I HATE MY FAMILY
& they dont ever trust me. THIS SUCKS

ON NOVEMBER 27, 2013 AT 3:00 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm dating a 23 year old. I'm 19 years old. My mom has never met him. Also my mom doesn't want me to met him in-person till I'm older or graduate collage. I told her about several things about him. She is nervous about this and saying dont let him take advantage of me. He's been through a lot ans really bad relationship stuff. I'm nervous that my mom won't like him but I have feeling she will...

ON NOVEMBER 17, 2013 AT 9:13 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I am 16 and my boyfriend is 19, and I really want my parents to give him a chance but so far they've been shutting him out without really giving him a chance. They haven't even met him! I know once they do they'll love him as much as I, but for now I just need help in trying to let them aware that I want to be with him, it's not just some fling, and he truly cares about me. He's not in it for sex because like me, he wants to wait until marriage as well. I just wish they'd understand...

ON OCTOBER 27, 2013 AT 5:22 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm almost 15 and I've been through a lot. But little do my parents know. I know I should communicate with them and such but when I try to talk to them about my boyfriend, they just cut me off. Say bad things. I've been trying to prove it to them that I am responsible enough to handle a relationship. I've been trying to find a time where the "meet my parents" part in the relationship but I am so scared of what my parents react. I need guidance. I love this guy and I want my parents to be aware of that and be happy for me.

ON OCTOBER 26, 2013 AT 7:58 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I am five teen and I have a boyfriend who is also is five teen. We have been together for eight months and have both met each-others families. His family really like me and the feeling is mutual, however, my mum loved my old boyfriend therefore has never really given my current boyfriend a chance. She is not the happiest that I go to his as we sit in his bedroom, even though both his parents are downstairs. He used to come to mine and my mum didn't have a problem with that. However, about a month back and incident happened and she hasn't let me see him since. It is ripping both me and my boyfriend and me and my mum apart. The incident was a total misunderstanding but she will not let me explain, she refuses to admit I am right. My dad also obeys to my mum rules and goes along with whatever rules she lays down, regardless of his opinion so I can't turn to him for help. I love my boyfriend and it is really tearing us apart and will surely end in us leaving the relationship due to my mum. I don't know what to do, help!!!

ON OCTOBER 25, 2013 AT 9:48 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm 12 and my mom won't allow me to date till I'm way older my older brother (15) has a girlfriend my mum has a problem but my dad is cool about it.I had little relationships before nothing serious tho but I like this guy, but I don't know what to do

ON OCTOBER 18, 2013 AT 2:54 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Hi, I'm about to be 16 in a couple of weeks and I really want to spend time with my boyfriend. My dad is a deacon and he said to invite him to church but my dad is very blunt and says what he feels, so I know its going to be a problem. On the other hand my mom doesn't know that we go out...its not really a secret but I don't want to tell her because anything that goes wrong in my academic life she will try and blame it on him! So I don't really know what to do. I've never been on a date so I really want to for my 16th birthday, can you please help?

ON OCTOBER 18, 2013 AT 8:34 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I am dating an 18 year old guy and I am almost 14 myself. My friends think it is a terrible idea me being with this guy because they watch to much tv and think he is going to rape me -_- and my parents... well, my dad has no idea about him because I used to have a 16 year old boyfriend and he told me to never see him again, of course I didn't listen which resulted in my dad being an idiot and grounding me for a year. My mom though.. well, she knows bout him but doesn't agree, she has this thing in her head which tells her that all boys want in a relationship is sex, sex, sex! Now I know this isn't the same for my boyfriend because he has already told me he will never make me do something I don't want to do. But still. my mom doesn't even know him and she thinks hes a bad influence and a bad guy. I really want my parents to approve of him but I don't know how too get them to see him the way I do.. my friends have met him and think hes nice but don't look at how he is around me, hes not touchy and things, hes a nice person in general. I have no idea how to make my friends and my parents and anyone else to see him as the good person I know he is.. please, please help me?

ON OCTOBER 15, 2013 AT 10:24 PM, AGEOF15MINDOFALL SAID:

I'm kind of confused here. People want help on this subject, yet you can't even spell correctly. I understand at young ages you want to have fun with that other person, it's the new generation and "everyone" is doing it now, but c'mon, if you can't even spell or sound decent enough why are you here? You should learn to be better yourself and correct yourself before trying to get into relationships and parent freedom. Alot of these young kids, i'm saying you still need your parents if you can't even spell decently or type like your texting.

ON OCTOBER 13, 2013 AT 8:01 PM, JAY SAID:

im 13 and thers this girl i like and we talk to each other alot but my mom sais she does not approve of me in relationships and we are both good teenagers that really upset me and i like this girl a lot what should i do cuz this is burning my heart so much.i just hope my mom changes her mind before i get really fed up and start hating her ,so please help.

ON OCTOBER 13, 2013 AT 4:41 PM, KATHY SAID:

boy teenage poblem he is very shy and weird. i was waiting , waiting long time 2 years and be patient with him he never said anything asking me go out for a date. do you think is good idea i should ask him go out dating.

ON OCTOBER 11, 2013 AT 11:07 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

im 13 and shes 12 and her parents don't really like guys dateing her NEED HELP

ON OCTOBER 10, 2013 AT 1:09 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Okay, so I'm 14 and I've been dating a great guy for 5 months now. And not to long ago my mom seen him in our house. And she got upset and made me tell him to leave, when all we were doing was watching tv. He had his arm around me which shouldn't be a big deal, right?Also my little brothers were there to in the same room with us. So we couldn't have done anything bad. Even if we were alone nothing would have happend, our relationship isn't about sex. But that was about a month ago and he still hasn't let it go. She doesn't like him, and I know that for a fact. She told me herself. And it really bothers me because I love him with all my heart. My dad hasn't said much about it to me and that's a good thing I guess. Anyways my point is my mom dislikes my boyfriend and I don't know what to do about it. ANY ADVISE?

ON SEPTEMBER 23, 2013 AT 7:55 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

When I first met my sweetheart, my mom would never let me go to his house, she always wanted him to come over to our house. It didn't make sense to me at first but now she trusts me a little better & now I can spend the night. But no sex, of course. But lately she's been making me "get your ass home now!!" & that's around 2am when she told me that I could spend the night that night. I dunno it gets super annoying. But I just think she's too controling, how can I fix that? P L E A S E. H E L P ME.

ON SEPTEMBER 22, 2013 AT 3:51 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I love my girlfriend more than anything but my parents won't let me see her due to my not being in school (I'm in outpatient therapy). I think they are making a bad call and I am close to war with them.

ON SEPTEMBER 17, 2013 AT 9:41 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I am so about today!!!

ON SEPTEMBER 17, 2013 AT 9:23 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I am 16 and a sophomore and my crush is a senior, today happened to be a parent and teacher conference at my school. My mom knows about my crush and even knows how he looks, so once we walk in I see him and get really excited I thought about walking up to him and giving him a hug but just then my mom start's yelling out loud "HEY________<---name" and so I turn the other way and started to speed walk. That was so embarrassing my mom supposedly said he didn't turn around but I am shore other people looked at me because they saw us come in together. I am so worried that he won't talk to me anymore. I known I shouldn't make a big deal about it but for some reason I got so upset with her.

ON SEPTEMBER 7, 2013 AT 11:27 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

im 18, a senior in high school and ive been dating this guy for a year. my dad decides that he doesnt like his parents anymore and now he never lets me go to his house anymore. he says he can only come over here. well that just made his mom really mad so she said he cannot go to my house. i can only go to his. so now its just one big mess and we have not seen each other in a few weeks. i dont know what to do. i told my dad all i want is to be able to see him and just to try and be civil with his parents. he said okay. so today i asked if i could go to a family reunion with my boyfriend and he said no. this is rediculas. its really stressing the both of us out. i just need some advice.

ON SEPTEMBER 2, 2013 AT 6:55 AM, EMMA SAID:

oh. ps from the Ryan and Noah one, he is 16 I am 14 :/ but my parents think he is amazing and smart so its all good with them, and my mom and his mom were taking the whole time, I told her I really like him and we talk together about Noah and stuff and when I told her about Ryan she said well we are only here for a week, sorry.

ON SEPTEMBER 2, 2013 AT 6:44 AM, EMMA SAID:

Please read I'm going crazy!!! so for vacation I am in florida and when I moved in I noticed this boy next door, his name is Noah and he is really cute, we started talking and stuff but then he got kinda creepy and would touch me and even after I told him to stop, he wouldnt. he had met my parents, come to church with us, basically for the whole 2 months he has been hanging out with us. well. the problem is.. he had a party the other day and he invited me over, I told him a week previous that I just wanted to be friends but he didnt listen very well and got a bit upset :/ anyway. the party. so Noah, his friend Grant and my brother and I were in Noahs back yard and I wanted to go home ( I live literally next door) and my mom said no. stay. so I talked to the nice lady my mother was talking to and she said "oh stay! you have to meet my son Ryan!" I said okay.. so then Ryan walks through the door and my heart drops. he is the most handsome guy I have ever seen in my life he is tall, 16, buff, plays lacrosse and football like my friend, sweet and such a gentleman. so after he saw me, and his mom he stood by his mother and she said this is Emma, and he came over, looked me in the eyes and shook my hand (and no one elses) after that I was just kinda in aw and could not stop looking at him. so at this party, besides the parents, it was just all guys and then me. so I sat across the table from Ryan and texted my friend because I was freaking out, and he kept looking at me with his big blue eyes, but I could tell he is like.. a bad boy? but he is a good boy, but his eyes just look so bad its hot! like in the good way if that makes sense. then we started talking about something and I made myself look so stupid and I felt so horrible afterwards ;( so one of the guys had a boat (we both live right on the bay that opens up to the ocean) and we all wanted to go to weeton island and shark tower, so we did and we also went to the sandbar, before we left he was untying the boat from the dock and standing on the side and I said dont fall, and he like joking like fell to the side but caught himself just to make me nervous and we both laughed, then he walked to the front of the boat and he said do you know those mermaid things on the front of the boat? and I was like yeah how they have like either dolphins or mermaids on the front? and he was like yeah yeah and then I said no idea sorry haha. then we got to the sandbar and on the way to shark tower I sat in a different seat, he was to my left, and he but his back to the wind and was seeing how far back he could go. then Grant was doing tricks and I thought it was cool so I wasnt sure if Ryan did it because he wanted to or because I was watching... anyway he tried to do the tricks but couldnt really do them haha which I think is fine because the other guy was super built like steroids built it was crazy. anyway. we got to shark tower and Ryan was like, do you wanna jump off? I was like, are you crazy?? no way!!! hes like I would do it... but I have already done it. I'm like your crazy, there are sharks in here!!!! then he was like okay and said pretty loudly, I wanna go see my muffin!! and walked up to the guy who was driving, so maybe he was talking about his gf? well. when we got back to Noahs house, I said thank you and goodbye to everyone, Ryan lives literally across the street so no worry about him, I texted Noah and told him to please give Ryan my number incase he wanted to hang out or something and Noah is like why? do you want me to dry hump his face for you too? what happened to knowing someone for 2 weeks before you date them?? (my rule) and I said no, its not like that, just please give it to him. so he said to Ryan, Emma wants your number, and apparently Ryan said well shes not gonna get it.... then later Noah said hes not going to text you, so I dont know if Noah gave Ryan my number or not... and I'm leaving for overseas in a weeks please help me fast because I really love him and if he has a gf I would just love to talk to him, anything please, I really dont want to loose him.. but I dont have him.... should I knock on his door and see if he wants to come over? or what should I do?

ON AUGUST 30, 2013 AT 10:43 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Im 16. My dad is way over protective and he wont let me date. I know he doesn't the kid im talking to. (not that my dad knows im talking to him) but I don't know what to do. He keeps asking me to hangout and I continually have to say no. Its come to the point where I feel bad.

ON AUGUST 18, 2013 AT 11:38 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm 12 and shes 16 (we are both girls) i told her i was straight because my mom wouldn't like that. she drinks and smokes and all that stuff. but i love her im just scares