Can I Get Pregnant If...

As a general rule of thumb, if a pregnancy question begins with the fact that there was a penis inside of a vagina, the answer is probably, “yes, you could be pregnant.” (Don’t totally freak here, “could be pregnant” is different than “are pregnant.”) The reality is, men and women’s bodies are designed to reproduce. So in order to get them not to, you have to either abstain from sex or rely on the miracles of modern science (ie: birth control). You can’t rely on yoga poses, Coca-Cola douches, or elaborate voodoo ceremonies. The following are 10 scenarios that are NOT reliable ways to protect against an unplanned pregnancy.

You CAN get pregnant if…

A girl is on her period. Sperm can live in the vagina for five to seven days. So even if sex occurred when a girl was on her period (and likely not at a fertile part of the cycle), the little spermies can make themselves at home, and wait around until a girl is fertile.

It’s your first time. All sex is created equal. Meaning, it could be your first or 81st time and you’re equally as likely to get pregnant.

You had sex standing up or with a girl on top. It doesn’t matter where or in what position you have sex, unless you’re using birth control of some kind, there will be semen in the girl’s vagina. It may seem like most of it drips out, but trust me...there’s still some in there.

You did jumping jacks after sex. Good for you for staying fit!  Unfortunately, jumping jacks aren’t good for anything but getting your heart rate up.

You douched, peed, or took a bath right after having sex. (First of all, you pee out of a different hole…and while it’s always good to pee after sex to prevent urinary tract infections, your pee hole has nothing to do with pregnancy.) And, even if you do douche, take a bath, or flush out your vagina, once semen is up there, the damage is done.

You had sex in a pool, the ocean, or a hot tub. Where you have sex doesn’t matter…pregnancy is still a possibility. Even if there is some water involved, that doesn’t flush out the sperm. (Don’t worry though, if a guy ejaculates in a pool or hot tub—and intercourse wasn’t involved—it’s VERY unlikely that you could get pregnant from that.)

He pulled out. Sex is like basketball, you dribble before you shoot. Even if a guy successfully pulls out, his pre-cum (the stuff that comes out before ejaculation) can get you pregnant.

He came right outside your vagina. You can actually get pregnant even when a guy ejaculates near your vaginal opening. Any vaginal mucus that’s around your vagina can literally serve as a slip n’ slide for sperm to swim into your vagina and all the way up.

You did a lot of drugs, had an eating disorder, your body is unhealthy .Even if your body is unhealthy, your reproductive system is probably working just fine and it’s not worth the risk to have unprotected sex. That being said, if you are suffering from an eating disorder or have addiction problems, you should seek help immediately.

He’s a stoner, wears tighty whiteys, drinks a lot of Mountain Dew. Ditto. So maybe a guy’s habits are lowering his sperm count from 4 million to 3 million. Even so…he’s still working with A LOT of sperm.

There are no tricks or exceptions when it comes to preventing pregnancy. (If any of these things actually worked, birth control and condom companies would be out of business.) The only way to reliably protect yourself from pregnancy is to be on an ACTUAL method of birth control. And though nothing is 100%, it will significantly reduce your chances of becoming pregnant. Check out our list of birth control methods and make sure you keep yourself protected. Every time.

Have questions about birth control methods or sex myths? Email us!

* image credit: flickr.com

UPDATE: Hi guys—based on the comments below, there are a LOT of questions about whether doing one thing or another could get you pregnant. The bottom line? If you're having sex, you could get pregnant. If you've decided to become sexually active—even if that doesn't mean actually have full on intercourse, but just messing around with your partner—you have to figure out a reliable method of birth control that you use every single time you have sex. And if you're not ready to have sex, that's totally and completely ok, too—it's the only 100% effective method of birth control, so don't write off waiting! In the meantime, if you think you may be pregnant or if you're ready to get on birth control, it's time to see a doctor or health care professional. Need to find one? Use our clinic locator.

Amber Madison has been writing about sex, love, and relationships since college (she went to Tufts University) when she wrote for her school newspaper's sex ed column. Since graduating, she's published two books: Hooking Up: A Girl's All-Out Guide to Sex and Sexuality and Talking Sex With Your Kids and has been quoted in a ton of different media outlets from Seventeen magazine to MTV to NPR. Have a question for Amber? Send us an email!

ON APRIL 16, 2014 AT 10:41 AM, JORDAN SAID:

My boyfriend and I don't use condoms and I just recently got on birth control. Is there a chance I could get pregnant by precum? Because he does pull out

ON APRIL 16, 2014 AT 10:31 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I wanna know can i still get pregnant if he cums inside me high? Cuz supposedly when a man is high and nuts inside a girl she wont get pregnant cuz the sperm is all wierd or crazy; i dont if its true or not!

ON APRIL 15, 2014 AT 7:13 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

My first time I had sex he came inside me. It had been just a week after my last period.. we did it again and he still didn't pull out less than a week later. Could I be pregnant?

ON APRIL 14, 2014 AT 2:38 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I had sex and he took off the condom so I could suck his penis then put a new condom on before we were going to have more sex can I be pregnant?

ON APRIL 13, 2014 AT 11:03 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

If I am on the patch and use it correctly and my boyfriend ejaculates inside of me is there a high possibility of me getting pregnant?

ON APRIL 11, 2014 AT 2:52 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

What if you have oral sex and he had already came and wiped it off with a towel but after rubbed his parts on mine. Do I still have a chance if getting pregnant?

ON APRIL 10, 2014 AT 6:00 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I haven't got my period In a month and like 3 weeks and my boyfriend did cum in me , I take a pregnancy test and it always come out negative am I pregnant?

ON APRIL 10, 2014 AT 12:17 PM, ANONYMOUSXET SAID:

ok so my girlfriend hasnt had sex in about 3 months and today we had sex and i came inside her but wasnt all the way in and she doesnt take birth control can she or will she get preg

ON APRIL 8, 2014 AT 6:03 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I had sex during the time that my birth control was supposed to be out for 7 days, the guy ejaculated inside of me, can I get pregnant? I was told that I couldn't but I just like to be sure.

ON APRIL 8, 2014 AT 9:38 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

If there a chance of being pregnant if you bleed when you where suppose to have your period but don't know if it's a miscarriage or something else ??

ON APRIL 7, 2014 AT 8:35 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

me and my boyfriend just had unprotected sex and I'm about 5 days away from my period, can I get pregnant? if yes, when will I notice?

ON MARCH 28, 2014 AT 11:35 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I had sex with a guy he used a condom however when he pulled out with the condom on he took it off so I could jack him off he came afterwards on my hand I wiped as much off as I could and got dressed trying not to touch my area is it possible to e pregnant???

ON MARCH 28, 2014 AT 2:53 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

i had sex a day after my last pill and he ejaculated in me ? what does it mean?

ON MARCH 27, 2014 AT 11:36 PM, ANONYMOUS . SAID:

what if you do it and he comes inside of you and you go on birth control the next day , could you still get pregeant ?

ON MARCH 27, 2014 AT 1:59 PM, STROBE SAID:

LOL... The stoner with tighty whities and mountain dew kinda describes me... Except I don't smoke weed anymore.
Anyways yah guys be safe with this stuff. You don't want to be a dad / mom. Just buy some rubbers before you even think about it and always keep one on you. That simple.
Good luck 8)

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 8:03 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

So my girlfriend and I are virgins and we wanted to have sex. She tried to get on top but she was too nervous to have my penis actually go in. If I came while she was on top of me even though i didnt go in, can she still get pregnant?

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 7:45 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Can you get pregnant if you have sex before the time you were asigned tk have sex and used prrotection

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 9:10 AM, STAY TEEN SAID:

Not sure what you meant by "have sex before the time you were asigned tk have sex".  Here's the deal, though: If you're having sex, you could get pregnant. If you've decided to become sexually active—even if that doesn't mean actually have full on intercourse, but just messing around with your partner—you have to figure out a reliable method of birth control that you use every single time you have sex. And if you're not ready to have sex, that's totally and completely ok, too—it's the only 100% effective method of birth control, so don't write off waiting! In the meantime, if you think you may be pregnant or if you're ready to get on birth control, it's time to see a doctor or health care professional. Need to find one? Use our clinic locator.

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 4:22 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Can I get pregnant if my boyfriend put his penis on the back hole of my vagina????

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 9:11 AM, STAY TEEN SAID:

Not sure what you meant by "the back hole" of your vagina.  Here's the deal, though: If you're having sex, you could get pregnant. If you've decided to become sexually active—even if that doesn't mean actually have full on intercourse, but just messing around with your partner—you have to figure out a reliable method of birth control that you use every single time you have sex. And if you're not ready to have sex, that's totally and completely ok, too—it's the only 100% effective method of birth control, so don't write off waiting! In the meantime, if you think you may be pregnant or if you're ready to get on birth control, it's time to see a doctor or health care professional. Need to find one? Use our clinic locator.

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 4:12 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Well, thank you this helped a lot ughh better get the stick out

ON MARCH 24, 2014 AT 8:31 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Ok so my boyfriend put his tip of his dick on the outside of my vagina and didnt cum at all that means no semen on outside or inside of my vagina

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 9:13 AM, STAY TEEN SAID:

ON MARCH 23, 2014 AT 12:41 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

ok so me and my boyfriend had sex and i got the morning after pill. is it a bad idea to have sex during the time im waiting for my period to come? because i have a feeling that i might be pregnant..but i might not be. im 17 years old nd waitin to get the pill because he wont use a condom. feel naughty because ive taken the morning adter pill twice nd i might need to take it again. problem is, i havent had my period from the last time iv had sex. but the nurse said that it could speed up or slow down the cycle. whats happenening ????

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 9:14 AM, STAY TEEN SAID:

Hi there...we try to help as much as we can at Stay Teen, but we're not health care professionals. It sounds like your question is better answered by someone who knows a lot more about the human body and how medicationa may affect it. Our best advice is to speak to a doctor or health care pro who can help you...Need to find one? Use our clinic locator.

ON MARCH 22, 2014 AT 11:03 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I'm a virgin can I get pregnant.

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 9:15 AM, STAY TEEN SAID:

If you're not sexually active, you won't get pregnant.

ON MARCH 21, 2014 AT 12:28 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Me in my men had sex but it came out can I still be pregnant

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 9:15 AM, STAY TEEN SAID:

ON MARCH 18, 2014 AT 11:05 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Is there a possibilty u can't get pregnant when he shoots in you 3 times ?

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 9:32 AM, STAY TEEN SAID:

If you're having sex, you could get pregnant. It sounds like you and your boyfriend are sexually active and having unprotected sex so the first thing you need to do is to figure out a reliable method of birth control that you use every single time you have sex. And remember: if you're not ready to have sex, that's totally and completely ok, too—it's the only 100% effective method of birth control, so don't write off waiting! In the meantime, if you think you may be pregnant or if you're ready to get on birth control, it's time to see a doctor or health care professional. Need to find one? Use our clinic locator.

ON MARCH 17, 2014 AT 8:19 AM, SHAREE PARKER SAID:

Me an my boy friend had sex he did cum in me and it was the last day of my period could I be pregnant not on birthcontrol

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 9:33 AM, STAY TEEN SAID:

Here's the deal: If you're having sex, you could get pregnant. If you've decided to become sexually active—even if that doesn't mean actually have full on intercourse, but just messing around with your partner—you have to figure out a reliable method of birth control that you use every single time you have sex. And if you're not ready to have sex, that's totally and completely ok, too—it's the only 100% effective method of birth control, so don't write off waiting! In the meantime, if you think you may be pregnant or if you're ready to get on birth control, it's time to see a doctor or health care professional. Need to find one? Use our clinic locator.

ON MARCH 14, 2014 AT 4:40 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

What if a boy Cums in you and a little while after You get an infection, can you still get pregnant ?

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 9:49 AM, STAY TEEN SAID:

ON MARCH 14, 2014 AT 5:38 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

I had sex and my boyfriend cam inside me and I'm on birth control can I get pregnant

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 9:50 AM, STAY TEEN SAID:

Here's the deal: If you're having sex, you could get pregnant. It sounds like you're using birth control, which is a great first step, but you have to use your method correctly every single time you have sex...but there is still a risk of pregnancy. If you're curious about your method or the other ones out there, check out our Birth Control Method Explorer for more info!

ON MARCH 12, 2014 AT 12:20 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

You can get pregnant any time any day and any where

ON MARCH 11, 2014 AT 7:19 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

My bf didnt cum at all and the penis never entered me he also wore a condom, is it likely I could be pregnant still?

ON MARCH 10, 2014 AT 3:52 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

For these past months I've been getting my period but only for 3 days and I've been ovulating like crazy on and off also I want to know what's the reason? Is it because my cycle is changing , because I'm stress or what is the out come do to the fact that I also hardly eat

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 9:51 AM, STAY TEEN SAID:

ON MARCH 8, 2014 AT 11:54 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Can u still get pregnant if he cummed and he wiped it off and went right back into the vagina ?

ON MARCH 25, 2014 AT 9:51 AM, STAY TEEN SAID:

ON MARCH 8, 2014 AT 11:53 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

How would u tell ur mom that ur pregnant . ?

ON MARCH 7, 2014 AT 7:43 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

My bf had no precrum and he just touched the outside... im so freaked....will anything result from this....

ON MARCH 6, 2014 AT 8:50 AM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

What if you are in the bath tub together and you haven't had sex of any kind? Could you get pregnant still?

ON MARCH 1, 2014 AT 12:09 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

Hello!

I just got my first period in December on the 14th, and a week later i went to go take a shower RIGHT after my step brother, and get ready for swim practice and i needed to shave 'down there' but i accidentally used my step brothers razor instead of mine! EW i know! i didn't know until after when i looked at the side and it had a blue pencil line on it (That`s how me and my step brother know its his or mine) I thought it was mine!!!

Then in January i missed my period but i know i know irregular periods, but ive been getting all symptoms of my period like cramps bloating and other stuff but i only have gotten discharge everyday?
My stomach is getting huge and hard like a pregnant belle and ive been eating and eating and eating but still hungry!!
I have also gotten a change in attitude, my stomach has been hurting SOOO BAD!!
Ive been going to the bathroom alot and been getting nausea! So then i thought "Wheres no way im pregnant right?" But then i was like "What if he got sperm in it somehow and it got brushed into my vagina? or what if he ejaculated in his under-where and he shaved down there and it got into my vagina?" Sorry im just a what if kinda of person. I didn't have ANY other sort of sexual intercourse or stuff like that.

So Can i get pregnant from this?

PLEASE HELP!! Im really scared and cant focus during school or even go to sleep at night!!

ON FEBRUARY 26, 2014 AT 11:25 PM, ZACHARY HENSLEY SAID:

if u dont want to worry abt pregnancy then dont have sex until ur ready for a future with that one person who want to spend uer life with for the rest of ur life and then u when u get married then maybe u can start thinking abt having kids and starting a family but wait to have sex when ur married

ON FEBRUARY 26, 2014 AT 2:23 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

This information really helps us teenagers thanks for this website

ON FEBRUARY 26, 2014 AT 2:22 PM, ANONYMOUS SAID:

It been two months i missed my periods what must i do am i pregnant or?